Skip to main content

How do I get legal aid?

Reviewed by
Nov 3, 2021

To receive legal representation through Legal Aid, you need to qualify. There is information on the Legal Aid BC website about how to contact them and how to apply.

Legal Aid is only available for certain areas of law, such as crime, and certain family law and immigration related issues. If your legal issue does not fit in those categories, you can find legal information and legal advice in other places. If you have a legal question that does not require legal advice, use the contact information in the right column to Ask JES for free legal help.

If you require legal advice, you can contact the Lawyer Referral Service for a free 30-minute consultation with a lawyer. In addition, Access Pro Bono provides a series of free legal clinic that may provide you with access to a lawyer.