Skip to main content

I’ve been charged with a crime. Now what?

Reviewed by
Nov 3, 2021

If you are charged with a crime, you should remain silent and talk a lawyer. If you do not have a lawyer, ask for a lawyer who can provide you with legal advice and explain your rights to you. Legal Aid BC provides lawyers for people who have been charged with a crime. You can contact Legal Aid to inquire about getting a lawyer to represent you.

Image removed.

The illustration below illustrates the legal process your case will follow. After being charged, you will have the chance to enter a plea: guilty or not guilty. If you plead not guilty, it is the role of BC Crown Counsel to prosecute the crime and present their case at a trial. If you are found not guilty at trial, you are free to go. If you plead guilty or are found guilty by a trial, the judge will decide your criminal sentence.